Tuesday, September 18, 2007

things that don't make sense: part one.

1) Public Education
I had a mini-revelation yesterday and came to the realization that my classes are NOT educating me. The entire point of my classes, especially now that I have AP's to deal with, is to teach me how to pass the test.
This is so convoluted and twisted and wrong! Testing should be a measure of how successfully a student is learning, not an end goal! I'm not going to remember when the hell the Stamp Act Congress was brought together (1774? maybe.) for any reason other than it might be brought up in the DBQ (Documents-Based Question) on the AP US History test in May.

2) Legalese
Apparently, the phrase "to hold harmless" is actually acceptable and widely used in legally binding documents. It's supposed to mean something along the lines of "to consider blameless" or "to not hold accountable for." How can people spend so much time in institutions of higher learning and yet manage to utterly butcher the English language?

3) Handel's Messiah
Have you seen some of those runs?! Three 6/8 measures of 16th notes oscillating between B below middle C and A, all on the word "glory." It's awesome, but seriously? Seriously?

Cat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

#3 made me burst into laughter as I sit in front of my computer.
that never happens.