Tuesday, October 16, 2007

love's a weird thing.

"I love you" means a lot of things. It can be a casual remark to another person when they have done something pleasing or said something entertaining. It can be an assertion of friendship. It can also be romantic, which is, as all those pop songs shout through poorly worded lyrics, the ultimate kind of love.
So that should be easier to say. "I love you," in the purest and most perfect sense of the phrase.

It's not.

There's this nasty gap between friendship and romance that "I love you" just doesn't bridge. I told you that I loved you when we were "just friends," but now I can't say that anymore. It's not that I love you any less...but I know it would make you uncomfortable to talk about love when so recently we talked about Love.

Why is it such a big deal anyway? You can't define love. It's not the heart-pounding, butterflies in the stomach, symptomatic love that's stereotyped into meaninglessness. It's something indescribable. So why is it such a big deal to say to someone, "I love you"?
I love a lot of people in very different ways. Some I wish I didn't love. Some I'm not sure how I love. Overall, it's terribly confusing and if I didn't love love, then I would HATE it.

No comments: