Thursday, September 24, 2009

carolina?

So I've been thinking...
  1. I'm not sure I want to be a music major anymore. I calmed down after my last post and, after thinking about it a lot, realized that:
    • I do not aspire to have a performance career,
    • I don't enjoy singing when I'm forced to do it, and
    • working this hard makes me hate music.
    So why do this? Singing can still be a part of my life, and I will have a basis of knowledge in theory and piano at the end of this semester that will help me if I choose later in life to return to this field.
  2. I really really REALLY enjoy my sociology class. It reminds me of Area II at GSE; it's epistemology with regards to societal behavior. I love it. I think I'm going to change my major to sociology next semester, or maybe political science, or international studies. I miss keeping up with the news for my international relations class; I'm going to get back in the swing of things soon.
  3. Assuming that I do change my major, there is no reason for me to stay at UNC-G. It sounds bad, but I'm too intelligent for this school. It clicked in my brain today during sociology when I looked around and no one was paying attention. I don't expect college students to always be completely engaged in their classes, that's ridiculous. But I feel like my brain could atrophy here. So I'm thinking of transferring to Carolina next fall. The thought excites me...I think that's a good sign. :]

4 comments:

bitchntomato said...

fuck carolina it's wayyyyyyyy too big. you should come to unc-a. we're all geniuses. and I promise to leave you alone if you want a new crowd. but my sociology class is fantastic, and almost all my classes remind me of governor's school. but i guess that'd be super far from the boy.

chupakitty said...

hm...I think I'm going to try to make a visit up there this year. I do want to stay close to Ben, but if I absolutely fall in love with Asheville, then I'll evaluate. :]

Steven Lumpkin said...

1- Carolina's a great school! I had a lot of fun there, but make sure you try to get a north campus dorm.

2- It's only half an hour from downtown Raleigh, and I should know!

3- I could write an entire post on my thoughts regarding your thoughts of shifting away from the music major. In fact, I may just do that. ;)

4- Sociology is very cool... I took a FASCINATING course on the archaelogy and sociology of the Pacific Northwest. I'd honestly classify it as one of the best courses I took at UNC, though I (like your classmates, it seems) probably didn't give it as much attention as it deserved. 8am is fail!

chupakitty said...

Steven, I'm excited to see this post! haha