Friday, April 9, 2010

I'm getting a tattoo.

Yes. I am.

I've always wanted to--just 'cause!--but I hate all those tattoos that mean nothing. Like the tribal ones. Ugh.

A tattoo should either be beautiful art or have deep personal meaning, in my opinion. It is not a decision to be made lightly or on a whim or, god forbid, when one is drunk.

I need to decide where it will be, but I've decided WHAT it is:

"for life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no parenthesis"

These are the last two lines from an e.e. cummings poem that has rooted itself in my heart. I posted it on this blog a long time ago. This is how I want to live my life. I want to remember that the effects of my life can be endless; they are not limited to only me and this time; death cannot stop my living.

Thinking about that makes me really happy. I can change others' lives with mine. I CAN. And when I die, it is not the end for me. I will go on in some way. I don't know if I believe in an afterlife, but as long as those who love me live, I will live also.

I think that seems like a good reason to get it permanently inked on my body.

1 comment:

EHoff said...

just get a tatoo of "Erich is the best thing to happen to me since my birth"




right across your forehead.